Monday, January 18, 2010

Weather today is.....

Overcast and a warm 2 degrees.
We seem to be having a real mild spell right now and a little bit of a thaw going on :) Which brings out the squirrels which as you will see get into all feeders possible. I know lots of people find them a pest but I find them quite comical in their ways and enjoy watching their antics :)



If only it would stay this mild, but from what I have been told it happens around this time of the year and we will get cold snowy days again soon!
I know I shouldn't say it but so far I have felt a little disappointed in the winter here, not because I like the snow so much but just the fact that I expected it to be a lot harsher than it has been. The temperature hasn't bothered me at all (so far!) and neither has the snow..... Maybe because when in the UK you couldn't go out much anyway because of it raining all the time and the fact that there just wasn't much to do without spending money it doesn't seem so bad but at least with being in Canada and having the land we have got, there are lots of things to keep us busy and lots of walks to take. Every time is different too as you never know what you will come across :)

The weekend was just the usual of shopping, cleaning and general day to day stuff!! So nothing much to report there.

Tasks for today:
1) Make Irish tea loaf (Brack) This was triggered off by Stu and Ruth at Christmas. They brought with them a Whiskey cake which was delicious and remined us of the Tea loaf that Wendy used to make many moons ago. If it is any good then I will be back to share the recipe at a later date.
2) Make Saucy Cajun steaks in the slow cooker - Dinner for later in the week
3) Vacuum house from top to bottom (or other way round!!)
4) Do laundry
5) Get outside and see what photo's I can take :)

In one of my last postings I did say that I would be back to show you where we had been the other Sunday. Well we went to see this fella



I emailed a few people before about Nicky but haven't ever posted so I thought I best share him with you. We have been to see him see him quite a few times since we moved here and have taken Shanara there too and she loved him!! He is a three year old Cougar also known as a Mountain lion here! and has been hand reared by Paul who lives just 10 minutes from us.

As Ruth had mentioned it here it thought I would share the photo with you, and yes they are really quite fun.....



and now for one of myself, this is on the Grizzly though and having a try at plowing the drive after the last snow fall :)



and just in case you are wondering, I have spelt 'Plough' the way it should be but also included the Canadian spelling as this is where we are and should do things and spell things the Canadian way :)

I haven't really said much about my work life but as Lisa had asked in a recent email I will tell a little more about it....
I work for a family run business which is a tractor dealership in town. I work part time as an accounts payable clerk, responsible for making sure that all payments are made to vendors on time, statements are kept up to date and invoices posted to the computer system amongst other duties. I have my own office and work by myself and to my own time schedule! We take 2 tea breaks, each 15 mins to 30 mins everyday and an hour lunch, but you don't have to only eat or drink then! The coffee pot is always on and free to help yourself anytime, there is a water dispenser for hot and cold water, a toaster and microwave :) They are flexible with family commitments, which means that if the kids have something going on at school then I am free to take time out whenever I need too without question. It is very relaxed, not stressful at all and it is a great pleasure to work there. I never think I don't want to go to work anymore and have time to enjoy my work rather than feeling pressured all the time which only makes for a bad atmosphere and errors.
Best move I could have made..... Wake up UK and give your employee's a break :)

Well that bring me to an end once again, time to go and grab some lunch just one last photo to share of our Pileated woodpecker. It hasn't been easy getting a good shot of him and then only managed to get one through the window. They are the large woodpecker with a wing span of 29" and stand at around 17" tall.

1 comment:

  1. Great pic's Nic.

    This winter has been very weird so far,I can tell you...not at all like normal.

    ReplyDelete